NCE in China:
NCE was first published in 1967. This series of textbooks have had a great influence on generations of Chinese learners and is still popular among varieties of learners and teachers. NCE New Version was first published by The Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press in China in 1997.
What is the concept?
In what way is it or was it new?
Is it a new concept today?
- The short answer is that teaching by the NCE is an integrated process. Please travel with me in your minds’ eye. Back to the 1960s’! Why this period of time is still of our interest today?
- The reason to that is the materials we use has changed. But in many cases, ways that teachers use them has not.
- Many of the things that teacher do in the classroom today still have their roots in the past. Why do I say this? Why does this happen? Well…being a teacher is like being a parent. We learn from our own experience, our own parents show us how to be a parent. We might accept or reject the lessons we learn from them. But un-conscientiously, they affect the way we do as parents.
- Our own teachers and our teacher’s teachers show us how to be teachers.
- We are still doing this in class today which we have done hundreds of years.
- The lessons in a book should be equivalent to a lesson in class;
- the text presented to study in each unit should incorporate the language point to be learnt. There should be no more mismatch between the objective studying in grammatical term and the text which the students were asked to read. Two things should work together;
- Students need to do 4 things: understand, answer, ask and say, they need to do all these things every single lesson; this is the basic method of NCE; It means three phases in the teaching process: presentation, practice, activation;
- Multi-purpose context in NCE makes language memorable. It’s the basic of NCE. Everything is integrated, and nothing is wasted;
- Structural words enable learners to convey meaning. So the learning challenge of learning English language is to make the right choice of word order—putting the right words in the right place.
- The key thing in learning anything is to connect new information to what we have already known. If the logic of what we taught is not well connected, then we don’t learn. So when we teach in the classroom, we need to fit in everything together nicely to prevent students from guessing and guessing wrong;
- Meaning in English is governed by choices of structural words and variations of word order; the right choice of word order—putting the right words in the right place;
Guide the adult or secondary students from rural areas in China to achieve better speaking and writing skills.
Intended Target Audience:
Potential learners: adult or secondary students in China who have completed any other elementary course.
About This Resource:
- Subject: English language study;
- Topic: “A private conversation”
- Textbook: Practice&Progress
- Type of resource: workshop resource;
- Sector: secondary school or adult education;
- Level: Year 6-9(according to Chinese school system);
- Complexity: pre-intermediate;
- Intended audience: student, teacher, esp. Chinese English teacher in a secondary school or a training school;
- Learning hours: 45 minutes/lesson
- understanding word order in simple statements;
- Guide learners through to a summary writing;
- reproduce an orally passage of English;
- listening comprehension (about 15 minutes)
- comprehension question (about 5 minutes)
- asking questions (about 5 minutes)
- pattern drill (about 5 minutes)
- tell the story(small group activities) (about 10 minutes)
- report (about 10 minutes)