admin posted an update 4 months, 1 week ago
Dementia is the name for a group of symptoms caused by disorders that affect the brain. It is not a specific disease.
* Very common (More than 3 million cases per year in US)
* Diagnosed by medical professional
* Diagnosis often requires lab test or imaging
* No known cure, treatments available
* Can be lifelong
Dementia refers to a group of symptoms that together affect the memory, normal thinking, communicating and reasoning ability of a person. These symptoms make it difficult to perform even daily simpler tasks such as bathing and eating. Alzheimer’s disease is the main cause of majority cases of dementia. Dementia can’t be cured but there are medications to manage the symptoms.
* Memory loss. This is usually the earliest and most noticeable symptom.
* Trouble recalling recent events or recognizing people and places.
* Trouble finding the right words.
* Problems planning and carrying out tasks, such as balancing a checkbook, following a recipe, or writing a letter.
* Trouble exercising judgment, such as knowing what to do in an emergency.
* Trouble controlling moods or behaviors. Depression is common, and agitation or aggression may occur.
* Not keeping up personal care such as grooming or bathing.